2. Adults only have 26 bones in their spine as some vertebrae fuse together as we grow
3. The Spine has 3 important functions: active movement of the trunk, support for the body and respiratory function and protection of the spinal cord and nerve structures
4. The approximate length of a female spinal cord is 430mm, a male spinal cord is approximately 450mm.
5. Astronauts returning from space can be up to 3% taller, gaining as much as 2 inches as cartilage discs expand in microgravity.
6. There are over 100 joints contained in the spine
7. The spine is so flexible it can bend far enough to form two thirds of a circle.
8. 8 out of 10 people are affected by back pain at some point in their life.
9. 12,000 Americans are paralyzed from spinal cord injuries each year.
10. 200,000 Americans are living with a spinal cord injury. Most are caused by auto accidents.
11. The spinal cord is divided into 5 different regions - 7 cervical, 12 thoracic, 5 lumbar, 5 sacrum fused, 4 coccyx fused vertebrae
12. Both giraffes and humans have 7 vertebrae in their necks.
13. The weight of a spinal cord is 35 grams.
14. There are 13.5 million neurons in the spinal cord.
15. Female spinal columns are approximately 600 mm in length, males are approximately 700mm.
16. The 4 coccyx vertebrae fuse together making the tail bone, an evolutionary remnant of the tail found on most other vertebrae.
17. There are 220 ligaments in the spine.
18. The spine has 4 primary motions: flexion, extension, side bending and rotation.
19. Four people are paralyzed every second from spinal injury.
20. 30,000,000 people regularly use chiropractic care to maintain spinal health.